Section Contact Details
Mark West – 0421 775 101
Russell Asser – 0412 906 066
Pat Kerin 0434 048 014
Pat Kerin 0434 048 014
Rifle Metallic Silhouette is an air, rimfire, centrefire, service and black powder rifle shooting discipline where competitors aim to knock down metal animal-shaped targets.
The targets are placed on steel stands in banks of five and set at a variety of known distances, with the competitors having a certain amount of time to knock as many down as they can. The various competitions are shot from a range of distance and positions, depending on the firearm calibre and category, but all competitions aim to improve hunting marksmanship skills under range conditions.
Silhouette Matches Shot at SSAA Para
Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette
Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle matches follow NRA rules, which creates opportunities for shooters to compete internationally. There are three classes of rifles used: Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette, Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette and Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette. These classes establish a match for common hunting carbines and other lever-action rifles, with the match catering to shooters who enjoy shooting hunting arms, but do not necessarily want to make the investment required of other specialised types of shooting competitions.
Depending on the match, the calibres shot range from the .22LR up to larger centrefire calibres, including pistol cartridges. Ammunition may be loaded with smokeless or black powder, using jacketed or cast bullets, with or without gas checks. All bullets must be flat-nose or round-nose, suitable for tubular magazine use. Any cartridge causing target damage or deemed unsafe may be prohibited.
In Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle matches, the Big Bore Pistol targets are shot at 50, 100, 150 and 200m, while the Field Pistol targets and Smallbore Pistol targets are both shot at 40, 50, 75 and 100m.
Scoped Silhouette – Centrefire
- 20 Shots at Chicken Targets at 200m
- 20 Shots at Pig Targets at 300m
Scoped Rifle Silhouette – Rimfire (.22lr)
Shot from the offhand position at steel targets. Rimfire Silhouette Rifle is identical to Centrefire Silhouette Rifle, except that the rifle is to be chambered for the .22-calibre Short, Long or Long Rifle cartridge only.
- 10 Shots at Chicken Targets at 40m
- 10 Shots at Pig Targets at 60m
- 10 Shots at Turkey Targets at 77m
- 10 Shots at Ram Targets at 100m
Scoped Rifle Silhouette – Air Rifle
Air Rifle permits the use of any air rifle of any calibre, with a maximum weight of 7kg including sights, except for sighting devices programmed to activate the firing mechanism. Any functional trigger of any release weight is permitted. Hooked buttplates are not permitted.
- 10 Shots at Chicken Targets at 18.3m
- 10 Shots at Pig Targets at 27.4m
- 10 Shots at Turkey Targets at 32.9m
- 10 Shots at Ram Targets at 41.1mAir Rifle Silhouette is also shot on the last Friday of each Month at 7pm. Please refer to the Air Rifle Section.
Long Range Rifle Silhouette
This match tests the rimfire rifle.
- 10 Shots at CLAS Chicken Targets at 50m (standing position)
- 10 Shots at CLAS Pig Targets at 100m (cross sticks or standing position)
- 10 Shots at CLAS Turkey Targets at 150m (cross sticks or standing position)
- 10 Shots at CLAS Ram Targets at 200m (cross sticks or standing position)
Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette (Currently Shot at SSAA Monarto)
- 10 Shots at Chicken Targets at 200m (standing position)
- 10 Shots at Pig Targets at 300 (cross sticks or standing position)
- 10 Shots at Turkey Targets at 385m (cross sticks or standing position)
- 10 Shots at Ram Targets at 500m(cross sticks or standing position)